This email was sent to me in private but I think you will benefit from the information I am giving here:
From: firstname.lastname@example.org (removed for privacy reasons)
Thank you for your SEO insight into my 10,000 page question
I am now going in the direction of making 1 high quality authoritative content page for each of my top 20
Do you have a blog or any articles to point me to in writing this authoritative content?
Also, I have used an SEO company to make 300 links a month to my site for 6 keywords.
thanks again for your input…
I can not give away all my secrets since I make a living from providing high end SEO services to large corporations and clients that pay me up to $30,000 per month for me to do something that not one else is doing, but I will give you enough information that will help you and most of the readers of this group (sorry about that)
1) Make sure to select the best, I mean the best keywords possible for your site! this is very important, without this you will waste your time and money
update: sorry, forgot this important one: make sure you do a site audit, try to find all the errors that may prevent your site from ranking well in the search engines, look at your sitemap, robots.txt, spider loops (traps), 404 pages, duplicate titles, empty titles, duplicated content, not enough content on categories or pages, etc etc…
5) Create your content, make sure it is authoritative, as Google wants and as I explained before, each page should target one or two of your selected keywords in step 1.
Anyways, there are a few reputable SEO companies that know what they are doing, find one that you can trust and do this: Let them do SEO for you, you concentrate on what you are best at! growing your business! get it? I know how to fix little things in my car, but do I take 10 hours of my time to do something that a professional can do in 2 hours and I can stead spend that time making money online?
If you still want to do this part yourself, then get links from some of these sources:
Blogs, forums, newspapers, press releases, software directories, PDF directories, join related blogs to your industry and help them, build a reputation and you will get followers, etc etc… there are many techniques that we have talked about before or you can find out by searching Google, but the key is this, do SEO not only for rankings, do it for traffic!
What do I mean? OK, most people think Google is the internet, Google is the place to be, which is true when we talking about traffic coming from search engines, but did you know that there is a huge number of people that can come to your site not via the search engines? this sources are even bigger than Google, we are talking about social media sites such as Facebook, twitter, and many others. Also, I get a lot of traffic from an article I wrote and was picked and posted on a site and the visitors to that site saw it and click on my link and visited my site, this is traffic that did not come directly from Google.
8) Make sure you have installed Google analytics, webmaster tools, or other tracking software. Learn to use this softwares and analyze your traffic, you will find a lot of long tail keywords that you can optimize your site for, will give you information such as CTR, bounce rate, stay on site, activity, all great values that will help you with your SEO efforts.
9) Test, test, test. Create some test cases, do them, analyze results, modify, improve, implement, test again…
10) Keep looking for opportunities, there are everywhere, concentrate on growing your business.
I am sure I am missing something here and there, but I hope it is just enough information to motivate you and give you an idea what needs to be done.
Oh, I almost forgot one, make sure to capture leads, the money is in the list :)
I am sure others will fill in the points I forgot :)
Thanks for your question
I want to share with you an email I send to a group of people that were asking in a private forum about keyword research and how to do it properly. Please excuse the type of language used, it was in an environment of trust and between peers. I think you will benefit from it and that is why MDZ has allowed me to post it here:
Keyword research is an art, to be honest. But you can use the tools that most people use, such as the google keyword tool, keyword elite, and other tools. That is good for the average person, but there is a lot more to it than that.
Disclaimer: When I seat down with a client, I tell him this, give me any keywords you want to rank for, does not matter competition, does not matter the market. That is because I am confident on what we do so I do not care how competitive the market is or who is in that market. This is not the best approach and this should not be the way most people should go about doing SEO. I need to make this clear. Now…
about finding keywords:
There are 3 ways most people would do this:
1) Regular way (most people do this, including many SEOs):
a) go to the keyword tool and enter a 2 to 3 keywords.
2) Some people including good SEOs would do this:
a) go to the keyword tool and enter one word keyword, make sure it is one, not 2 or more words. Why? you want the tool to give you the ideas, not you telling the keywords were to go.
There is a lot that I do in GA, but just to give you some ideas:
I look for keywords that have a lot of traffic, converting well? yes, great! where are they ranking? lower than top 10? crap!!! I have to work hard on these because if they are bringing enough traffic and converting well then by moving them to top 10, top 3 I will make a killing.
I look for keywords that have little traffic but converting well, once again, are they top 10? if not, I do SEO to rank them top 10 because I know that will increase traffic and since they convert well I will make a killing.
I look for keywords that have a lot of traffic and converting badly, are they ranking well? no, then do SEO, yes? then focus on conversions! meaning, look at how long people stay on a page, may be the call to actions is weak, may be my offer sucks, may be the content is bad, etc etc.
These are some of the things I do, it works, trust me.
3) the 3rd method is the one that very few people use, I only use it for my top clients because it takes more time and money, but gives me the best results. I will not explain it here (sorry for that) because it is a technique I developed in the last 9 years and I share it once and was leaked to a few people. In SEO is good to have an advantage over your competition.
But, the first 2 techniques will help you alot, in most cases that is all you need to do.
Oh, and there is more:
4) PPC: yes, PPC as a keyword tool. Create a campaign with some generic keywords, some phrase keywords (never exact) and let it run for a few days (weeks?, a month?) depending on your budget. Go to your GA tool and see what keywords are coming to your site via these generic keywords. I think you still need to use a trick (set up in GA) that will allow you to see the exact keywords that came to your site via the generic keywords.
What do I mean? let’s say you have a keyword soccer on your PPC group.
In GA you will see keywords such as soccer shoes, where to buy soccer shoes, soccer shirts, etc. There you have them, GA will give you the keyword and the daily traffic for it.
One of questions that I am asked all the time is related to the best backlinks to get that will really help a site rank higher. This is a question that needs some clarification because there is a lot of misinformation out there.
Let me start by saying that the best links are the “love links”. What are love links? Well, links that are giving to your site because the person linking to you finds the information on your site of great value and wants to share it with his own visitors.
The key to get love links is to have great content on your site, content that anyone and everyone will love to share with others. The content needs to be an authoritative type of content.
What does Google considers authoritative content? The answer is found on Google’s webmaster blog, but to give you some ideas:
It needs to be:
With links to authoritative resources such as wikipedia
Images, Videos, also help
That is some of the things you may want to add to your content, but the most critical factors is to make sure it is unique and in depth information that your visitors will find very useful.